*As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. The price to you remains the same.
Recently you haven’t been walking barefoot on the carpet because you keep getting stung. Well, you may have ants.
This is not uncommon when you have a carpet, but it’s still a problem that shouldn’t be ignored.
You can go straight for ant carpet powder and ant baits or for natural options such as vinegar.
These methods may be familiar to you, but do you know how it’s exactly done? Keep on reading—you might find a better solution than what you’ve been doing!
You can create a bait station in the room where the ants have taken over.
If you found the nest (which may be under the carpet), place the bait right next to it. When you put bait stations around the carpet, the ants will take it back to their queen, who will die when she eats it. The colony cannot survive without the queen.
⚠️ If you’re doing this, you have to make sure your pets or little ones don’t pick the bait up and mistake it for a snack!
This is an effective method and kills the ants, but there is a risk of accidental ingestion by either pets or kids.
Ant Carpet Powder
You can also use ant carpet powder.
This is an insecticide in powder form. Sprinkle it evenly on your carpet and wait for 30 to 60 minutes. Make sure no one walks in that area without shoes, or preferably at all. The ants will either die on the carpet or leave your carpet to die somewhere else.
Like with ant bait, there is also a risk of your child or pet eating or playing with the powder, which can be harmful to both of them.
If you don’t want to take a chance or just don’t like such toxic methods, read on for my natural methods!
How Do I Get Rid Of Ants In My Carpet Naturally?
Here are my favorite all-natural remedies to help you get nasty ants out of your carpet. Some may seem odd, but they actually work:
- Cucumber — Ants despise cucumber, so you can place some peels on the carpet to chase them away. However, they will not die; rather, the cucumber will make them leave. Cucumbers are best for infestations that are not large.
- Peppermint Oil — Make a peppermint-based spray and spray it on your carpet. This will get rid of little black ants. Spray this solution around all the entrances as well to avoid ants from getting in.
- Honey and Borax — Mix one tablespoon of honey, hot water, and Borax. Place this mixture near the ants’ nest and wait for about 2 days. Ants will be attracted to the honey and die when they eat it.
- Cinnamon — a very strong spice with a distinct aroma that ants hate. You can spread some on the edges of your carpet to break an ant trail. You can also put it on the nest. Cinnamon is more of a preventative measure, so this is for small infestations.
- Lemon — has a strong scent that can disturb ants. Put some lemon juice on the entrances of your room/house where the affected carpet is. This is also a preventative measure.
You can also use Diatomaceous Earth. This special dirt mixture is safe for pets and humans and a non-toxic approach to dealing with ants. Sprinkle some on your carpet and wait ’til it does its magic!
Always vacuum or steam clean after treating your carpet. I recommend steam cleaning as it will suck up any moisture on your carpet padding and prevent ants from coming back.
When you wash your carpets, always make sure they completely dry and clean spills as soon as possible! This can all help you keep ants out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you vacuum ants out of the carpet?
You can use a vacuum for ants, but it’s not very effective. Some will die, but the rest won’t, and then your vacuum cleaner will be infested. Throwing the dirt out into the garbage also wouldn’t solve the problem as the ant invasion will just be moved to the trash where they’ll thrive.
Why do I have ants?
They’re after the food. The tiny crumbs you may leave while snacking or having dinner are what ants love.
They also like damp areas, so your carpet must have been damp from underneath. If you drop anything (food or drink), it has to be cleaned up straight away (and properly!) to avoid ants. Always open the windows and doors when it’s carpet washing day to avoid dampness.