*As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. The price to you remains the same.
Dropped some ground weed or weed resin on the floor? The intuition is going to tell you to take a vac and clean it up. Bad idea! That’s what you do with things that don’t get you stoned.
You’ll want to pick up these ganja mites AND roll them up into another joint.
But if you dropped some honey oil, I have bad news. The most you can do is un-stain the carpet. (TL;DR: you’ll need some alcohol, ice, and a couple other ingredients.) As for the resin itself, say goodbye to it!
Finally, I’ll also teach you how to get rid of pot smell that seeped into your carpet.
How to Clean Ground Pot (and Not Lose It)
Table of Contents
The obvious solution would be to get a duster and a dustpan and scoop it up.
But that’s ONLY recommended if your carpet isn’t littered with crumbs and particles from your munchies! If that were the case, you’d have to manually separate weed from chaff, and that’s a huge pain.
(Okay, there’s an even more obvious solution than that. But we’re not here to fool around!)
Back to our elegant and efficient hack that involves a thick stocking, a vac, and some composure.
Take the stocking and wrap it around your vacuum hose. Turn on the vac, but make sure to set it on lowest speed setting. If you overdo it, you could end up vacuuming the stocking along with the pot. And good luck getting pot out of vac!
To this end, you should also hold the stocking with your other hand as you vacuum the pot. Hold it firm enough so it doesn’t get whooshed in, but not too tight! You’ll want it to act as a strainer to pick up the grounds.
What About Resin? First, Freeze It Before Scraping
Since you can’t recover your resin and consume it (plus resin stains are pretty bad), it’s time to get serious.
Resin is a sticky substance that can be really hard to work with. Furthermore, it can get stuck on your hands, other areas of your carpet and even your clothes!
You can use a bag full of ice or an ice pack and place it over the resin stain. Wait for 3 hours or more and check the resin. Using a dull knife, carefully pick the resin up from the carpet fibers. Keep doing this until most of the pieces are gone.
Next, dilute some laundry detergent with warm water and pat the stain. Soak up the area with this solution and leave it for a while before rinsing and blotting the water out. If you’re like me, you’ll also use your steam cleaner to get rid of any resulting smells.
If this is not really working, read on for another method of mine!
Step By Step Process to Remove Marijuana Resin
Before beginning, scrape up the excess. Start from the edge and work towards the center. Blot up this excess.
- Apply rubbing alcohol, vodka in your cupboard or citrus solvent if you have.
- Gently rub the carpet area.
- Rinse the solution with warm water. Don’t soak the carpet!
- Blot the extra water. If you have a wet/dry vacuum, you can vacuum the excess water.
(You should only proceed to the next step if the stain was not removed.)
- Mix some detergent in water and apply it to the stain. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Blot the solution.
- Rinse the carpet once again with warm water without soaking the carpet.
You can also use a vinegar solution to avoid using chemicals such as ammonia or bleach. You’d also be saving your carpet, as chemicals have a high chance of ruining your carpet if you’re not careful.
Sometimes you might not see a result straight away. You would need to repeat the procedure a number of times before you notice it going away. This depends on how long you left the resin there and how much you dropped.
I advise you to always rinse after putting any kind of solution on your carpet. Different solutions have different pH levels, which can change the color of your carpet. Rinsing removes residue that may attract more dirt and helps the carpet back to a neutral pH.
Sometimes, the stain will wick back to the surface, which will force you to do extra cleaning (eye roll).
Not all spots can be removed, but this is unlikely if you tackle it as soon as possible. Be careful not to over-treat the carpet as you can experience a loss of color, and you would need a professional carpet dyer.
How to Remove the Smell of Marijuana Out of Carpet
(At this point, I’ll pretend to ignore questions such as why would anyone want their carpet to NOT smell like hemp.)
There are many common substances that you probably have around the house that will soak up the odor from your home and carpet.
- Baking soda (a personal favorite) – Baking soda is truly some sort of magic. Apart from being a leavening agent, it can absorb smells from anywhere. Scatter the baking soda on your carpet and leave it for a couple of hours. Vacuum it up afterward.
- White vinegar – If you leave white vinegar out in the room, it will help get rid of the weed smell. White vinegar has a very strong, distinct smell that basically helps with all odors. If you’re trying to be discreet about it, then baking soda is a more advisable option!
- Coffee grounds – Beat grounds with grounds! Spreading some coffee grounds on the carpet (like baking soda) can also mask marijuana smells in the room. Caffeine has a lot of nitrogen, which combats a lot of odors.
- Activated charcoal – This is definitely a more expensive option, however, you can get it for acceptable prices as loose granules. Put it in a porous fabric such as a pantyhose and leave it in the room. It has oxygen, which makes it more porous that gives it more surface area to take in your weed smell!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I vacuum marijuana?
Yes, you can. But it’s a good idea to use a stocking or a sock over the hose part before vacuuming marijuana. In this way, you can save some!
I recommend using a tweezer or picking it out and vacuuming the residue for bigger pieces.
Will vinegar get rid of the weed smell?
Leaving white vinegar in a saucer or container will help, but if you simmer it first, it will work more than 100%. (Just don’t inhale it.)
Putting heat vaporizes certain acids in vinegar, which targets the weed smell head-on.
How to treat clothes with a marijuana smell?
Your clothes can also catch the smell of marijuana, but they can be sorted out with laundry detergent and vinegar. Use a high temperature or the highest permitted by the type of fabric you’re dealing with. Leave your clothes in the sun to air dry,